Several communicational tools are at the disposal of students and teachers to support their activities during the courses. The partner universities offer two virtual classroom tools with different capabilities (Marratech and Centra). It is also available learning and communication management systems (LCMS) and independant discussion forums.
Marratech is a virtual classroom tools that allows to hold meetings and video conferencing on the web, face-to-face, whenever you want. To talk, see each other and share applications and documents without being in the same room, the same building, or even the same country. This platform is used in several courses in the Energy Online Master Program for online lectures, project meetings and project presentations.
Centra enables groups to work faster and more effectively by automating critical learning and training initiatives online through virtual classrooms, online meetings and web conferences. Centra has a broad array of features that make live, group-oriented learning effective on the web. Interactive whiteboards, yes/no feedback, hand-raising, multi-point video conferencing, advanced application sharing and text and full-duplex chat promote student involvement. This platform is used in several courses in the Energy Online Master Program for online lectures, project meetings and project presentations.
Learning and Communication Management Systems
Learning and communication management system, LCMS, tools are available at each university and also in some course homepages.
- Gävle: Blackboard is a web-based system for distribution of courses at the University of Gävle. Distance courses as well as campus courses can be accessible via the Internet. Communication, such as e-mail, discussion forum and chat, are managed via Blackboard. Moreover, it gives the possibility of distributing course material, handing in assignments, creating web exams etc.
- KTH: Bilda is the name for KTH's educational environment for web-based learning, that is education via the Internet. The course platform (LMS) that is used is called Ping Pong.
Among other things you in Bilda can find: saved material in a library, for instance PowerPoint presentations, links or old exams, training materials, keep in contact with your teacher, take tests and exams, receive and hand-in assignments and take surveys .
- Linköping: It's Learning is a learning platform used in the educational work for both distance and campus courses at Linköping University. Within the education platform, there are opportunities for communication and cooperation between participants in different ways.
- Umeå: Cambro is a learning platform available to teachers, students, scientists and other personnel at Umeå University. Cambro is often used as a virtual classroom and a bridge to close the physical gap that off-campus courses might suffer from. Among other things you in Cambro can receive the latest news from courses and/or projects, text, sound and/or video material, personal storage area, fast communication such as chats, blogs and forums and a digital calendar.
- Uppsala: The university-wide Student Portal facilitates educational administrative work and communication between teachers, course administrators and students. Through its contact with other central systems, the Student Portal is able to offer every active student a basic selection of services, for instance: Course pages, study results and grade transcripts.It is also possible to communicate with students and circulate information via notice boards, email, progress, links and file areas.
Email is also a very important communication tool used in the different courses offered at each university. Once you have been accepted and enrolled in the program you will be provided with an email account by the university where you have been registered. It is important to check and use those local emails because often the corresponding school IT-systems use only them for communication to students.
Last modified 7/2/2011